Saturday 3 December 2016

SUNDAY BRUNCH: LEEK AND FETA OMELETTE


     So, another week has passed and almost gone and we are officially in the month of pre Christmas celebration. I feel like this month is going to go by so quickly though... With university and life getting in the way. Not that I can complain. Pretty amazing stuff have happened since the previous post. I went to a very tempting interview in Lausanne, where I fell in love once again with the french canton. It's just...don't get me wrong (especially if you are Swiss-German and reading this) I love Zurich so far. But...I am always a frenchie at heart and if it's not Paris, then it can be Geneve or Lausanne. I can imagine myself walking everyday to a small boulangerie and buying fresh and buttery croissants. Maybe owning my own boulangerie at some point... anyways, we are far from that point now. Let's get back to reality.
     And reality is...exams and assignments. Yes! With much grief I tell you guys that my life is a student's life right now. No going out (not a lot), no going out. Just staying in, studying, watching series marathons and enjoying food and baking. Well, now that I've described it, it doesn't seem so bad. Which brings me to the point of saying that I enjoyed one of the best omelettes the other day, courtesy of...my boyfriend. The original idea was mine and I always do this to him. I say "Oh I have this idea we can make and blah blah blah" and poor guy almost never says no. 


     This time my idea was to make a cheesy omelette with leeks and feta. If you are Greek or happened to ever eat a greek leek and feta pie, you know the feeling. Leeks are so sweet and flavourful, I honestly prefer them to spinach in pies. And feta. What can go wrong when you add feta? Nothing is the answer. So, if you have a few spare leeks sitting in your fridge this is the time to use them. They will add so much tast to your ordinary omelette that you will thank me for this. Add thyme and other herbs for more flavour and you are set for an amazing gastronomic experience... Ok went too far now. Just make the omelette, alright?

Leek and feta omelette 

ingredients (for two people)

2 leeks (cleaned and chopped)
3 or 4 eggs (depending how eggy you want the omelette. I used 3)
1/4 cup feta crumbs
1/4 cup milk
salt, pepper
chopped thyme
cherry tomatoes sliced
butter

how do I make it?

1. First, heat some butter in a medium pan. When the pan is hot (on medium heat) sautee the leeks for a couple of minutes until they become soft. 
2. Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and chopped thyme.
3. Add to the pan and start making small rounds with a spoon to make the egg mixture go everywhere. Keep making rounds until there is no liquid mixture left.
4. Add the crumbs of feta and a few sliced cherry tomatoes (optional). With the use of a spatula, carefully fold the omelette to one side and let it cook for a couple of minutes.
5. When it's ready serve in a big place and add some thyme on top extra if you want to or some sliced cherry tomatoes. Eat while it's still hot.


No comments :

Post a Comment