Saturday 4 February 2017

CHOCOLATE AND ALMOND BUTTER SHAKE WITH CACAO NIBS AND FROZEN RASPBERRIES


     Some years ago when I was still a bachelor student living in Athens, I always dreamt of going to Erasmus programs and studying somewhere else abroad. It was almost like a fantasy I had to meet other people from different cultures. But what I wanted the most was to get to know their different cuisines, what kind of spices or vegetables were used in their homes and be able to share those small recipes which were passed on from generations. In my mind, we would gather all once a week and cook traditional dishes from various areas in Europe, Asia, America, Australia or anywhere else in the world. 
     This small dream became quite real the other day, when a good friend of mine from Hungary told me to get together a few girls from University and cook something from her country. We made some hungarian crepes stuffed with cooked meat in stew and some sour cream with sweet paprika sauce on top. It was so delicious and the best part of it is we all got together, talked about almost anything and there was food in the middle, which I believe always connects people. You can learn so many things about someone's culture just by the food they eat. We gave a promise to do it again in the future with a different type of cuisine. Maybe Mexican next time? 
     As food going and connection with other people, all you lovebirds know that Valentine's Day is approaching. I am not a very girly, bubbly, lovey person when it comes to this fest and as I am all about creative and simple gifts, I would love for a sweet something made out of chocolate. I have a few other recipes in mind for you guys, but I decided to start with this simple, everyone-can-do-it recipe of chocolate with almond butter shake you can make for your significant other. It is creamy, sweet, orgasmic and a bit on the healthy side. 




     Perfect as a breakfast smoothie or a finishing shake of a delicious meal. Whenever you choose to do it depends on your schedule to be honest. This recipe was inspired by Candince Kumai's recipe of Chocolate Peanut Butter shake. Candice is so amazing and inspiring. I love it when she puts her thoughts into words and how she talks about how difficult it was for her to make it in the field of cooking and wellness. She is a professional chef and ex-model (just have a look at her body) who focuses on plant-based recipes and smoothies, while bringing out her Japanese inheritance. 
     My recipe includes almond butter as I had made two jars of it and was eating it like crazy. I know that peanut butter may go better with chocolate, but give almond butter a chance. I find this smoothie to be on the sweet side, but without it being too sweet. It contains good fat and protein to keep you full. Plus I topped it with some frozen raspberries and that really made this smoothie a treat.

Chocolate and almond butter shake with frozen raspberries and cacao nibs

ingredients (for two)

1 frozen banana
1 apple, core removed
1/2 avocado
1 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or regular)
2 tablespoons almond butter
2 tablespoons cocoa 
1 tablespoon maca powder (optional)
4 ice cubes

to serve
frozen raspberries, cacao nibs

How do I make it?

1. Mix all of the ingredients for the shake in a blender (putting last the milk) and pulse in medium to high speed for 1 to 2 minutes. Check with a spoon if everything is smooth or else pulse again for some seconds.
2. Pour into two glasses and top with some frozen raspberries and cacao nibs if you have them.



No comments :

Post a Comment