Thursday 20 October 2016

PUMPKIN PANCAKES WITH TOASTED PECANS AND MAPLE SYRUP


     For the past few days I've been in a series of studying all the time and getting zero quality of sleep. Today, I had two tests in University and until the last minute of them my ability to concetrate on a task was extremely difficult. But nevertheless, this day has almost come to an end, which means that I get to have some relaxing alone time until my boyfriend gets back from home and I can have human contact again. I know I sound like a crazy lonely person, but in times of extreme stress and panic, I like to get some solitude once in a while, just to get my thoughts sorted out and I can be social and merry once again.
     Now, enough talking about my emotional state and let's talk more about what fall season has to offer. A lot of opportunities for cooking is the answer. It's the ideal time to go out to the forrests and start collecting chestnuts or mushrooms or one of my favourite autumn food, the pumpkin. In my country to be honest we don't use them that often in our kitchen. So, I only discovered them 5 years or so ago. I was always interested to taste this famous pumpkin pie that Americans used to make during Thanksgiving and everyone seemed to love it. Or the pumpkin spice latte Starbucks freaks talked about every autumn. My first attempt with a pumpkin was a sweet and creamy pumpkin pie and I have to say it was pretty successful. Then came the pumpkin soup, then the pumpkin brownies and so on. This fall I am trying out different pumpkin recipes and hopefully I will be able to share them with you.




     The first recipe I gave a go at was a recipe for sweet, fluffy and oh so yummy pumpkin pancakes drizzled with maple syrup and roasted pecans. It was a big success in my apartment! My boyfriend and I devoured them and some leftover pancakes were eaten also in the evening. Lately, I've been eating like crazy due to extreme stress and fatigue, so maybe I won't make these in the very near future as I'm trying to eat more healthy whole food. Nevertheless, these are worthy of your time, especially around weekend time. Don't be afraid to add pumpkin in your pancake batter, I can assure you that these will disappear very quickly.

Pumpkin Pancakes with toasted pecans and maple syrup

ingredients (makes 5 pancakes)

1 cup flour
1 cup pumpkin purree or pulp
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 cup toasted pecans
maple syrup

How do I make it?

1. In a bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and salt and put aside. In a blender mix together the pumpkin, milk, egg,  sugar and vanilla essence and blend very well.
2. Tranfer the liquid mixture to the bowl of flour and mix very well everything together until you get a nice batter.
3. Warm a medium size pan with some butter and add a big scoop of batter to the pan. Let the pancake be cooked for a bit until the sides start to rise. Carefully with a spatula lift the pancake and flip it to the other side. Cook until golden brown (for a minute or two).
4. Continue the same with the remaining batter. To serve sprinkle on top the toasted pecans and some generous ammount of maple syrup.






No comments :

Post a Comment