Sunday 6 November 2016

SUNDAY BRUNCH: BASIC DUTCH BABY PANCAKE


     "It sounds like we are at Starbucks!" My boyfriend tells me as he closes the door of our study room. He doesn't handle relaxing jazz music very well. But for me it feels so natural to listen to it when I am studying, cooking or editing my photos on my computer. It's not loud, but the emotions are creating a kind of safehouse for me. Plus it's like 4 C outside today, on a Sunday morning (now afternoon), and it really feels like staying in, listening to some music and eating your favourite comfort food. We were both so tired and needed the extra few hours of sleep. 
    This week we prepared for a dear friend some food for her husband's party. My boyfriend cooked the food and I made the birthday cake, which you saw maybe on my Instagram feed. I was so glad that she liked it and everyone ate the food. It is always a pleasure to make something from scrach and then finally someone is enjoying your creation. This is why I want so badly to involve myself with food, but I yet haven't come up with an idea for it. I still remain a silent, food blogger, who makes food for her friends and boyfriend and takes silly photos of it. 



    Always a lover of good breakfast food, I have wanted for a while to make a "Dutch baby" pancake. It just seemed so amazing how this pancake is puffed and fluffy, while having very simple ingredients. To tell you the truth, now that I have made it and tasted it, I prefer it to the original pancakes for a few reasons. First, there is no need to cook every single pancake, you just make one. Second, you don't need to look at it not to burn, because just the 20 minutes it needs to bake are perfect and doesn't need more. Third, it's just plain delicious, there is no reason to deny it. And overall it tasted better than the normal pancakes. And it doesn't contain as much flour, which is perfect, as you get to taste the other ingredients as well. Super easy, super simple, super quick, super delicious.


Dutch Baby Pancake

ingredients (for one pancake, serves up to 4 people)

3 eggs at room temperature
1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons butter

serving: fresh fruit, icing sugar, nuts, syrops, jam

How do I make it?
1. Heat a large pan with the 3 tablespoons of butter on low. Preheat your over to 200 C and have it ready.
2. In a blender or in a bowl mix really well your ingredients until the mixture becomes bubbly and fluffy. 
3. Pour the mixture on to the heating pan and let it cook for 1 minute. Then carefully place it in the over and bake for 20 minutes.
4. Once it's ready, remove from oven, put on top some icing sugar and fresh fruit. Serve while it's still hot.





No comments :

Post a Comment