Tuesday 1 November 2016

OVERNIGHT APPLE OATS, WITH ALMOND BUTTER AND WARM BLUEBERRIES SAUCE


     Happy November everyone! We have finnaly arrived in the middle of autumn and I feel a bit excited/overwealmed. Shops are starting to bring out their Christmas decorations, almost everyone is drinking hot chocolate and Christmas plans are being finalized. With midterm exams coming in two weeks, to be honest I am in no mood to study. I want to explore what Swiss life has to offer me still (apart from fondue and a lot of chocolate). Last Sunday, we went to a small cafe called "Kafischnaps" to have branch and I was very pleased with my order. I had baked eggs with salmon, capers and parmesan creme. It was heavenly! This time I didn't have my camera with me, so there are no photos and post to show you. Next time I will definately photoshoot everything for you to see.
     Moving on, but still talking about food, I believe that I am not going to have any more overnight oats from now on. Don't be scared, I have not come to dislike them. It's just that the warm porridge season has been established now with the cold weather making its way into our lives. I am a big fan of porridge and I know a lot of people make awful faces when I talk about enjoying a hot cup of oats. But as with many things in life, I just don't care what people think. I enjoy them just perfect with some seasonal fruit and a lot of nutbutter. Speaking of nutbutters, I had the most fun and tasty experience with macadamia butter the other day. It was very creamy and buttery, not like the usual peanut and almond butters I eat. It paired very well with a toasted slice of bread and some nutella. Just so you know...




     Last week I had some blueberries and a few good apples hanging in my kitchen that I haven't touched. So, it came to my mind that I've been in Switzerland for about a month and a half. I had to make something a bit swiss, right? And you know what is swiss? Bircher muesli, or overnight soaked oats in apple sauce and grated apple. It was so good. The apple gave the oats a sweet and fruity taste 

Ingredients (for 4-5 persons)

for the muesli
2 cups rolled or quick oats
1 1/2 cups milk
¼ cup apple sauce
1 apple grated
1-2 tablespoons honey
1½ cups plain yogurt
A dash of cinnamon (optional)

for the warm blueberries

2 cups of fresh blueberries
2 tablespoons honey
To serve: almond butter

How do I make it?

1. The night before you want to have your oats, mix together the oats, milk, apple sauce, yogurt, honey and cinnamon. Blend well together and put into one big container or separate in smaller ones. Keep in the fridge overnight.
2. The next day, put your blueberries and honey in a pan over medium heat. Stir them well as they warm and their juices start to come out. Cook for up to 5 minutes. We want a sauce to start forming, but the fruit must be tender.
3. Take out your oats. Add a spoonful of almond butter for each serving. Then pour on top the warm blueberries. 





No comments :

Post a Comment