Sunday 10 December 2017

CHOCOLATE SABLES (AU CHOCOLAT) WITH PISTACHIOS


     Trying to get your life together is really tougher the older you get. I have told myself a hundred times that I can't control everything that happens to me, no matter how much I fight for the opposite. However, life has taught me so many times that what is inevitable will happen, the same way that the sun will rise in the morning, every morning. But, this all seems too pessimistic for a creative and romantic nature like myself. I cannot think that my efforts have no meaning or that they will never appear themselves as gifts from God. 
     The previous two months have been hectic and that was obvious if you only looked at my face. Breakouts of hormonal acne as if I was 15 again (although I am a mature woman of 28), crazy and surreal talks about "where do we go from here?" and the insatiable need to know what will happen next and, yes, what can we do about it? This constant battle has led me to constant bad mood and as any other artist out there knows, bad mood kills the creativity. Because it was the kind of bad mood that doesn't let you think about anything else than your "real" problems. 
     But what are "real" problems? Why can't "not finding the perfect macaron in Zurich" be a real problem? And I'm not trying to make you laugh or consider me a nut case. It is a real problem, if you love those little things. Before anyone attacks me, I know that "luxemburgli" are just as tiny (a little more) and cute, but to me they don't quite taste the same. They are very close to the real thing, but almost. Like a lover of realism that I am, I need the real thing to satisfy my appetite. 



     Among all the previous negativity you just read (or not), I managed to find some inspiration and appetite for a sweet thing at last. When I hear the word cookie, I always get the image of "the cookie monster". This blue muppet that loves cookies as if they are gold or something. It's really silly, but I connect cookies with childhood memories and it's always nice to hear the word. Now, there are different varieties of cookies. The soft, the crunchy, the goey, the nutty, the "crunchy on the outside, soft in the inside", the ones your mum used to make, the ones that smell like Christmas etc etc. I am more of the "crunchy on the outside, soft in the inside" kind of person. So, I decided to please my cookie cravings.
     The French have a recipe for everything, right? And cookies are not an exception. In the name of "sablé" the French have managed to create a cookie buttery enough, but not too much. A little elegant, you might say. It was the first time I tried to make these little ones and when I started I thought it would be easy and quick. But no. It was a little demanding and definitely not quick. It was worth it though!



    The recipe is only for 15 cookies, because I didn't want to make a lot and store them, as they tend to become a bit soggy. I prefer to eat them up to two weeks and then make new ones (or not). Fresh bakes cookies are the best if you ask me! However, these ones keep very fresh for up to a week. They are soft on the inside and have a deep chocolate flavour without tasting too much butter. For the pistachios, I suggest you get good quality, because it makes a big difference. I got mine from Aigina, Greece, an island close to Athens that has a big production of the best pistachios you will ever eat. Ok, let's move on with the recipe...

 Chocolate Sablés (au chocolat) with Pistachios

ingredients (for 12 to 15 cookies)

100gr dark chocolate (at least 70%)
50gr sugar
75gr butter at room temperature
100gr flour
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup slightly choped pistachios
small round cookie cutter (or use a glass with small diameter)

how do I make it?

1. In an electric mixer, mix together the butter and sugar until they become soft. Using a microwave or a "bain-marie" (pan with boiled water and a heat proof bowl on top), melt the chocolate until it becomes a soft and rich mix. When you use microwave, be careful to not overheat it. First, heat chocolate for 30 seconds, take it out and stir it and then heat it up for another 20 seconds if the chocolate is not completely melted.
2. Once your chocolate is ready, add it to the butter-sugar mixture with the egg yolk and mix again until everything is combined. Add vanilla and cinnamon and mix again.
3. Now, pour inside the flour and baking soda and mix some more. If the batter becomes a bit tough for your mixer, stop it, and use your hands to finish the mixing. You should get a kind of soft and a little moist texture. Add the crushed pistachios inside and mix again.
4. Transfer the batter to a clean bowl, cover and put in the fridge for 2 hours. Drink some coffee while waiting...
5. Take out your dough, roll it with a roller up to 2 cm height. Using a cookie cutter or a glass, cut small round shapes of cookies. Using a spatula try to lift the cookies without ruining their shape and transfer them to a pan with baking paper on. Do the same steps until you have no dough left. Be quite quick and gentle, because the dough tends to melt into your hands the more you use it. Make sure to keep the cookies apart from each other as they will expand while baking.
6. Bake the cookies for 10 minutes to 180C preheated oven.
7. When 10 minutes have passed take them out of the oven and let them cool completely. Don't touch them, as they are very sensitive while hot.
8. You can enjoy them as they are, or melt some extra chocolate, drizzle the top of the cookies and add some more crushed pistachions.

Enjoy with milk!




2 comments :

  1. Beautifully written. And the cookies.. Of course they look absolutely delicious! I am sure that they taste even better knowing your skill. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your nice words. You know what they say... "Not everything that looks gold, is gold", but in the case of cookies it might me! If you happen to try the recipe, I would love to see your feedback on how the recipe turned out.
      Lots of love,
      Maria

      Delete