Thursday 18 January 2018

HOMEMADE HAZELNUT MILK (PLAIN AND CHOCOLATE)


     It is really funny how time goes by so quickly! Almost four weeks ago I was back home for Christmas enjoying time with my family and friends and this time never seems enough. I guess this happens when you live in a foreign country and it will happen even more in the coming years... Not to sound melodramatic, it's not my intention. It just makes me appreciate more the time spent well.
     On the brighter side, I managed to bring a lot of my old food styling & photography stuff from my parents home back with me in Zurich. Along with that, a big bag of hazelnuts followed us here, waiting for me to break their shell and do something creative with them. My first thought was to try milking! You know, the process of making milk out of nuts. For some time now, I had ordered online a brilliant cheese strainer or nut milk bag (both names are accurate), but for some reason I never used it. What a shame! I missed on such an amazing and easy experience.



    The reasons for making your own plant-based milk are many, but simple to explain. First of all, if you are concerned about what additives you consumed in packaged foods, then have a look at most plant-based mylks sold in supermarkets and you will realise there is more than nuts in what you're drinking. You see that when your milk lasts more than a week in the fridge, whereas the homemade one only lasts up to three days. Second, it's a fun activity you get to do either on your own or with your kids/boyfriend, whoever wants to join. And don't even think that you will thrown away the remaining pulp from the nuts. You can use it to make healthy-sh brownies or bliss balls. Get creative and there is nothing you can't make!
     What I like most about homemade milk is that you have the chance to create your own style and flavour so easily. For example, I got to make two versions, first a plain and then a chocolate one. The choices are many and depend on your imagination and...hunger! For my first ever nutmilk experience I tried hazelnuts since I had a bunch of those hanging around, but also because I love the taste they leave. Along with almond milk, hazelnut milk is one of my favourites. So, let's start milking...

Homemade Hazelnut milk (Plain and Chocolate)

ingredients (for 2 to 3 cups of milk)

plain version
1 cup raw hazelnuts (or roasted if you prefer) pre-soaked in cold water for at least 8 hours (or overnight)
3 cups of filtered water
pinch of salt
2 medjool dates

chocolate version
1 cup raw hazelnuts (or roasted if you prefer) pre-soaked in cold water for at least 8 hours (or overnight)
3 cups of filtered water
pinch of salt
2 medjool dates
+
2 tablespoons of raw cacao
1 tablespoon of honey

equipment: blender, nutmilk bag or cheese stainer, big bowl, glass bottles to store

how do I make it? 
(the process is the same for both versions until step 5)

1. Take out your blender and pour inside 3 cups of filtered water (or boiled) and the pre-soaked hazelnuts. Then, start your blender on medium speed for one minute and then on high speed for one more minute. 
2. Stop the blender and put inside the dates and salt. Close the lid and pulse again for an additional 2 minutes, or until your nuts have really turned into a pulp.
3. In the middle of a big bowl, put your nutmilk bag open and then pour inside some of the milk from the blender. Take the bag in your hands, twist it a little bit and start squishing it to get out the liquid from the hazelnuts. Be tough with them, as you need the most milk you can get.When you're done, save the pulp in an extra bowl. 
4. Repeat the previous step for the remaining milk until you are done. Then, for the plain version you transfer the milk in the glass bottles and serve immediately or store in the fridge for later. 
5. For the chocolate version, put your blender on again and this time pour inside the hazelnut milk, the raw cacao and the honey. Mix for one minute and then transfer the milk in glass bottles. Voila!



No comments :

Post a Comment