Saturday 2 June 2018

CHOCOLATE & COCONUT OATMEAL BAKE



     Hello, lovely people! June is here and some of you may already have plans ahead for the summer. I booked my tickets for Greece yesterday, where I'm going for two weeks this month before a new chapter in my life begins. I can't wait to taste all the fresh vegetables and fruit in my home country and take in as much vitamin D as possible. We're planning on doing a small getaway with some friends, so I'm looking forward to that too!
      This month I think began in the best way possible. Yesterday we were invited by some dear friends of us for a casual food experience (or so we thought). Apart from the amazing food they served us, they had the most wonderful news in the world. They are expecting their first baby!!! I couldn't hide my happiness for them and I'm already thinking how blessed this kid will be. 




     Moving towards some foodie talking, a while back I got us a very good quality cast iron pan. It had been in my plans of getting one  for a long time, and cook amazing recipes. The great thing about a cast iron skillet is that the more you cook with it, the better it gets. Plus you can always place it in the oven just like that and create wonderful recipes. Which is what I did two days ago, when I needed something sweet but not too much, as I'm trying to lay off sweets for a bit (at least for everyday eating). And I thought to myself "what can be sweet, but also slightly health-ish?". Well, a chocolate and coconut oatmeal bake.
      I am one of those weird people that loves oats, oatmeal and everything oaty. To me they have an earthy taste and I think being a Taurus (earth sign) I can appreciate these types of tastes. Often I find that people dislike them and reply with a "I don't want to eat horse food" and I'm like "have you seen a horse? they are so beautiful...". But I can understand that oats alone are flavourless. That's where dutch-processed cacao and coconut milk come along in this recipe. And some 90% dark chocolate on top!

Chocolate & Coconut Oatmeal Bake

ingredients (for one medium pan)

2 large or 3 small overripe bananas
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup oats 
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 tbsp good quality cacao (unsweetened)
2/4 cup shredded coconut
90% dark chocolate chunks for topping (70-90% works great)

how do I make it?

1. In a large bowl smash with a fork the bananas until they get very smooth, almost soupy. Then, pour inside the olive oil and brown sugar and mix very well until combines. Next, pour in the coconut milk and mix again. 
2. Add the baking soda, oats, cacao and whole wheat flour and mix well just until everything is combined together. Finally, mix in the shredded coconut. Prepare your cast iron skillet with some oil and pour inside the mixture. Top it with some dark chocolate chunks or more coconut if you want.
3. Bake the oatmeal bake at 180C for 20 minutes. It will be slightly undercooked, but it will make it softer. Enjoy plain with a cup of coffee or pair it with some ice cream.



No comments :

Post a Comment