Sunday 2 September 2018

CHOCOLATE AND HAZELNUT GRANOLA (LIGHTLY SWEETENED)



     Yesterday I welcomed the new season in the best way possible. By doing a makeover to my hair, and mood! I have always been and still am the girly, romantic individual who fantasises about spending time in a Parisian cafe, reading poetry or a cult novel. Without being too detailed about it, I got some cute bangs on my forehead. The kind of bangs that hang loosely from the top of your head, without being too structured or formed. I'm in love! Although I didn't expect to like them as much, I always thought that they wouldn't look good on me or something. For sure, I look like a kid without make up or proper adult clothes, but who cares? As I'm proceeding to getting 30 next year, I could use some high school vibes.
     Thins are getting pretty hectic this September. My best friend here in Zurich is getting married, my graduation is next week and some pretty exciting news hit me last Friday. Can't wait for everything to happen and some of my dreams to come true soon. Other than that, I am a bit away from the blog lately as I am working full time now and my time is limited, but also I had zero creativity and motivation during summer. As a sensitive and creative nature, I cannot help it but feel beaten up by algorithms on Instagram or generally the net, where gifted individuals who don't get as much followers or audience are left behind. Also, I am not a person to monetise my passion, I think that would kill it. You see, to me creating recipes and taking photos is a passion. And I want it to stay like that. My only escape from everyday life and problems. My true time alone.





     This morning I was looking for something crunchy to eat, but I was left out of my old coconut granola. I was also filling the cold weather taking out some part of the summer joy and bringing in some blues, so I thought it would be nice to make something enjoyable to eat every morning this fall. Then, the idea popped into my head to create a recipe that paired chocolate and hazelnut. Nutella, you might say. And you are probably right, since it almost tastes like it. But this granola, however, doesn't have all the nasty stuff you find in nutella, like palm oil and badly processed sugar, so that you can enjoy it for breakfast and you won't feel hungry in 1 hour after eating it.
     I added Dutch unsweetened cocoa and a cocoa with peanut butter I bought last year from Edinburgh. When I saw it, memories were brought back to me from our trip last year. The mesmerising little streets, the warmth of the small and big cafes and the overall atmosphere of an old city with its knights in shining armour. In Edinburgh I felt so alive, even though the city has very dark colors. My boyfriend loved it too and we are planning on visiting Scotland again this year and perhaps visit some other villages or cities.




     This recipe is easy and versatile, which is how I like my granola to be. In all seriousness though, it really is something to make in big batches and enjoy throughout the fall. I used a small amount of sweetener (honey), but if you want to add more you can (up to 2 more tablespoons). I wouldn't however skip on the good quality of cocoa, because that is what makes this granola AMAZING.

Chocolate and Hazelnut Granola (lightly sweetened)

ingredients

2 1/2 cups of whole oats (not the instant cooking ones)
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 tablespoon honey (or add two more for a sweeter taste)
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon unsweetened Dutch cacao
pinch of salt
1/2 cup raw and chopped hazelnuts
1/4 cup dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, coconut)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla or hazelnuts extract

How do I make it?

1. In a large bowl, add the oats, dried fruit, salt and chopped hazelnuts. Using a small pot, pour inside the coconut oil, honey and cacao and try incorporating everything in medium heat. Basically you only need them to melt enough to become one smooth mixture. Be careful to stir continuously and not let them get too hot or burn.
2. Pour the warm liquid mixture to the large bowl and mix well. Try  mixing the bottom of the bowl thoroughly because most of the oats that are there don't get moistened with the liquid. Preheat the over to 170C.
3. Use a large flat pan and cover it with baking sheet. Pour on top the raw granola and spread it throughout the pan. Bake the granola for 30 to 40 minutes, depending how crispy you want it. Enjoy with milk, yoghurt or just on its own!





No comments :

Post a Comment