Wednesday 22 August 2018

OATS, APPLE & RAISINS BREAKFAST SCONES WITH DULCE DE LECHE


      This post is dedicated to somebody special that didn't know what Internet probably is but would be happy to know that we will think of her for the rest of the days. 

     The week started overall well, but the weekend was even better. My best friend here in Zurich asked me to make her wedding cake in September and I was so, so happy of the proposal. As she wants a rather boho wedding, I thought of a naked cake would be the best choice. As any other professional cake maker (I totally am), I decided to make a cake testing with two flavours for her and her future husband to taste. Let me tell you, they loved both, but at the end of the day we had to decide on one flavour and go with it. You may have seen some of my posts on instagram with the cake. I sincerely fell in love with this mini version of a cake. And my friends did too.
     I also had the chance to go to the Limmatschwimmen! Zurich friends, HOW AMAZING was this? I thought it was going to be awkward, but in reality it was really fun and the river was full of people. Of course, many thanks to Stadt Zürich for organizing this event and let's hope next year's animal is a unicorn. For those of you you who don't know the event, it's basically swimming in the Limmat river for about 2km or 1,5 hours holding on to a floating animal. This ywar the animal was a sea horse. My friends also enjoyed the event, although one of the guys was unlucky that his animal got blown out and he was barely surviving on it.


      I apologise for not posting this recipe earlier, but some things got in the way with my new job and as I am an extremely, over the top anxious and responsible human being (as much as I hate it often), I had to devote some of my time to it. 
     Anyways, the recipe is finally being written in this post. Lately, I have been experiencing some nostalgia for Edinburgh or Great Britain in general. Maybe it's because I really am over summer and want fall to come. And what place or which country better represents fall than UK? The land of creamy porridge and buttery biscuits. It was no surprise that I was looking for recipes on healthier versions for biscuits, since I am making an effort to eat healthy as much as I can. And to me, a healthy breakfast sets the tone for the day. As so, I wanted to create biscuits that you could eat in the morning occasionally and not feel like you ate a cake or something. Plus, what better way to celebrate upcoming fall than an apple, cinnamon and raisin biscuit (drizzled with dulce de leche sauce if you feel fancy)? 


     Oats, Apple, Cinnamon and Raisins Breakfast Scones (with dulce de leche)

ingredients (for 12 scones)

1 cup oats
1 cup white flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup buttermilk
1 medium apple cut in small pieces or grated
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup raisins

topping (optional): dulce de leche 

How do I make it?

1. Mix together the butter and sugar with an electrical mixer until the butter softens and the sugar has been incorporated. Then add the buttermilk and mix well again. In another bowl, mix together the oats, flours, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. When ready, start adding the mixture to the wet ingredients in 5 additions. 
2. Once everything is incorporated, stop the mixer and add the apple with raisins. Try to mix everything with a wooden spoon or your hands. In the end your dough might be slightly wet. Don't worry about this, the scones will be moist and not dry.
3. Preheat oven to 180 C. Use a round pan for cakes, place a baking paper and then transfer the dough in the pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until the scones are nicely brown. Let them cool for some minutes and then cut them into pieces, as you would cut a cake or a pizza.
4. If you wish, you can drizzle some premade dulce de leche sauce on top!



No comments :

Post a Comment