Tuesday 4 October 2016

GARLIC BUTTER AND GRUYERE CHEESE PULL-APART BREAD


     First two weeks of University life have gone by so quickly. I find myself among people from different countries and cultures and all the new information is overwealming to say the least. I've learned so many things about life in Switzerland and especially in Zurich the past few days that I am still processing. But as cold winter starts to make its appearance, it is not a wonder that I start getting inside the kitchen deeper and deeper. Hey, I need fat to be able to survive through the cold heavy winter (or so I tell myself). But if you also lived with a talented chef as a boyfriend, who lacks the sensitivity to cook lightly and prepares you the best brownies-ever, you would also be tempted as I am to eat everything.
     So, lately I've been experimenting with things to try in the kitchen and I've had some serious professional offers, which I won't talk about yet until they are official. This Sunday I was inspired by a recipe I stambled upon on Food and Wine and thought it was very interesting. I followed it almost by heart, although I changed a little bit the ingredients. I took off some of the butter and introduced the glory of the Gruyere cheese. This magnificent swiss cheese may not be too good for your noses (my boyfriend hates the smell), but it will be glorious for your mouth. Trust me when I say this! The recipe itself is quite simple, although like in everyother bread situation you have to wait for some time for the dough to double itself.



     When I tried to make it I realised I didn't have any dry yeast, so I added some baking powder instead. I did everything as the instructions said, but I think that adding baking powder to make bread is not smart. The bread came out perfect in taste, but the dough was too heavy and not light and fluffy as a normal bread should be. I advice you then to add active dry yeast as the recipe requires for. 

Garlic Butter and Gruyere cheese pull-apart bread

ingredients 

for the dough
1 1/2 cup lukewarm milk
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon sugar
4 cups bread flour
2 tablespoons butter at room temperature
2 teaspoons salt

for the garlic butter and gruyere
4 tablespoons butter
5 cloves of garlic minced
10 leaves of basil choped 
1 cup of gruyere cheese

how do I make it?
1. First, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, whisk the warm milk, yeast and sugar and let stand until foamy. Beat in the flour, 2 tablespoons of butter and the salt. Knead the dough until it starts to get smoothfor almost 5 minutes. Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm place until doubled in bulk, approximately for 1 hour.
2. Start making the garlic butter by heating up a medium sized pan and putting in the butter, your minced garlic and the basil. When the butter has melted completely remove from heat and let it cool for a bit.
3. After your dough has doubled in size, take it out and start kneeding it on a floured surface. Start making small balls in the size of golfball. Oil a non-stick skillet (round) and start placing your dough balls in concentric circles until you have filled all of the place. Pour on them your garlic butter sauce and let them double again in size by covering them with a plastic wrap. Then when they are ready to bake pour over your gruyere cheese.
4. Heat your oven to 180C and bake your bread for 30-40 minutes or until golden. When they are ready sprinkle some sea salt on them and maybe coat them in some more butter for extra deliciousness.






No comments :

Post a Comment