Thursday 5 January 2017

LENTIL BURGERS WITH YOGHURT AND GARLIC SAUCE (TZATZIKI)


     It's true what they say, that there is no other place more comforting and safe than your the house you grew up in. I am back to my home town since the 1st of January and I am truly enjoying time here in familiar places and warmer climate. It was one of the best ideas to travel during New Year's I tell you. We were treated to bubbly wine, to a discent dinner and to some New Year's pie we make in Greece. I surprised my mum for her nameday and birthday and treated her (and myself) to a luxury spa experience the next day. It was so lovely...
     To start the new year, I realised I needed a change in perspective and habits. I am a hardcore habit person. I have a habit and I stick to it the hardest I can. Some habits can be good (like exercising or clean eating) and some others bad. This year I promised myself I will do my best to cook more, experiment more with plant-based recipes and create a plan for my future bakery shop. Hehe! You didn't expect the last one I might guess, but yes it is a little dream of mine I have at the back of my mind for the future.



   First recipe for 2017 is a plant-based one and quite a good one if I may say. I've never been a fan of substitutes or things that have a name of a particular food, but the ingredients are different. Like these lentil burgers. It is a known fact that burgers normally are made with meat. But these ones do not contain any kind of meat. And I tell you, they are delicious! I mean ok, they are not fatty in the way that meat is, but still they contain a lot of flavour and fill you up, as lentils are a good source of protein. Also, if you are in a food resolution you can start by making these lentil burgers next time you are thinking of "What the hell am I supposed to eat today?". 
     Recipe was inspired by the book "Clean Slate: A Cookbook and Guide", which has very beautiful recipes if you are trying to lower your animal based food intake and giving the plant-based foods a try. And before you go there and assume I turned myself into a vegan, I am telling you no. I did not. It just happens that sometimes I want to try something different for a change (and a healthy gut). This recipe was easy and doable for a rookie like me. Plus I felt full after it, something that rarely happens...

Lentil burgers with yoghurt and garlic sauce (tzatziki)

for the burgers
ingredients (for 4 burgers)

1 cup cooked lentils drained and cooled
1 small red onion chopped
1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs or oat flakes
2 large eggs (whisked)
2 tablesspoons parsley
1 tablespooon soy sauce
some pepper
olive oil for cooking

for tzatziki sauce
ingredients

1 cup greek yoghurt (drained)
1 medium cucumber grated
2 gloves of garlic mashed
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
some salt and pepper (according to taste)

How do I make it?
1. In a bowl combine the cooked lentils, onion, parsley, breadcrumbs and the eggs. Mix all the ingredients nicely together. Take half of the mixture into a food processor and pulse until the mixture becomes very smooth. Fold the smooth mixture into the remaining lentil mixtue and mix again. If your mixture is a bit liquid, add some oat flakes.
2. Heat a medium pan with some olive oil. Scoop 1/4 of mixture and shape into a medium patty (do the same for the rest of mixture). Add to pan and cook for about 2-3 minutes for each side until the burgers are golden brown and crisp.
3. Serve with tzatziki sauce (recipe below).

for the tzatziki sauce

1. Grate your cucumber and strain it using a stainer and some paper towel to get rid of the juices that come out of it. 
2. Put the yoghurt in a bowl and add the strained cucumber and vinegar. Mix in the olive oil and mashed garlic really well. 
3. With a spoon, taste for saltiness. Add some more if you like or some pepper.
4. Keep in fridge if not eating instantly. 






No comments :

Post a Comment