Tuesday 23 May 2017

CHICKPEA CURRY WITH KALE


     As we are heading almost towards the end of the month, I have realised two important things so far. A) I really need some quality time with myself, where I only do things for my body and mind and B) I love peonies. For the love of God, I do adore them. Their existence is not something new to me, as peonies have been worshiped and decorated many houses for many many years, before blogging came to the surface and made them "instragramable" (yeah, that's a word). 
     Since the beginning of May I have noticed their first blooms appearing in local market and admired their fine pastel colours  They are very similar to roses, in structure and smell, but please do not confuse them. They are very fine beauties, that come to colours like a palette of light pink, white, strong fuscia. They are perfect if you are looking for something else than roses and if you like big blooms, because peonies normally when they open their petals they enlarge.



     During this time, other than obsessing over peonies, I haven't been doing much than studying. Also, my food intake has gone up a big and towards the unhealthy kind, which I will not complain about, because it was totally worth the calories. The other day though, I wanted to make something filling, yet not full of saturated fat and empty of nutrients. So, I turned to one of my favourite wellness websites, Goop, and I found this simple, yet delicious recipe for chickpea curry with kale
     I changed the recipe a bit to be honest, because I didn't have any curry spices, but I think it's very versatile as a recipe. I added some freshly grated kurkuma (turmeric), which not only gives colour, but also very important antioxidants. It's very easy to make and what I find very useful is to make a few extra portion and eat it throughout the week. Chickpeas are so good for you, full of protein, which actually helps me stay fuller longer. But this again depends on the person and what type of work/exercise you do throughout the day. Nevertheless, I suggest you give it a try.

Chickpea curry with Kale (adapted from goop)

ingredients (for 4 people)

1 red or yellow onion chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons ginger, minced
1 tablespoon turmeric, minced
1 teaspoon ginger powder
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
1 cup coconut milk
3 cups boiled chickpeas
2 cups chopped kale
salt, pepper to season

How do I make it?

1. Heat a medium pan with the olive oil and once it hot add the onion. Sautee until it's soft and caramelised. Then add the minced garlic, ginger and turmeric. Add your paprika and ginger powder and cook some more minutes.
2. Pour in your stock, chickpeas and coconut milk and let them cook for about 10 minutes. Add some salt and mix with a large spoon.
3. Last, add your chopped kale and continue to cook for another 10 minutes, or until the kale has softened.
4. Serve alone in bowls or with some rice.








No comments :

Post a Comment