Tuesday 27 June 2017

CANTALOUPE MELON ICE CREAM


    Hot, hot, hot! And I'm talking about the temperature lately. I mean, of course, if you live in Europe you know what I'm talking about it. No news there. But also, I'm referring to the remake of the very loved 90s drama, Baywatch. Have you seen it? I happened to watch it on Sunday and somewhat enjoyed it. It was nothing like the original series, but that was mostly because David Hasselhoff was not part of it... Other than that, I enjoyed the very simple script, with no big surprises there and of course the girls had amazing bodies as expected. 
     However, it reminded me how much I miss Greece during the summer, the best season to be there. I miss my walks along the beach in my hometown, Glyfada, I miss the drinks with my friends in a bar next to the sea, the chilly breeze that hugs you during the nights and of course the smell of sunscreen mixed with sea salt water. I booked my tickets a few weeks ago for July and I really can't wait. My little trip also involves a Greek wedding, which means a lot of food, dancing and more food. Oh, and drinking!



     Until then, I need to have something that reminds me of a careless summer, eating juicy summer fruit and trying to chase every bee and bug that exists in the house. One of my favourite summer fruit, apart from peaches and nectarines, is melon. Not a big fan of honeydew melon, though, I think cantaloupe is my choice here. I love the colour inside the melon and the sweetness of it. It's something really really special to eat. Sometimes I even pair it with some feta cheese to make it a bit fancier and take some of the sweetness out of it.


     Now, during summer I don't like to do a lot of things in the kitchen. I prefer easy and manageable tasks. And since I don't have an ice cream machine (yet), I had to come up with an easy recipe for a melon ice cream for this summer. You only need a few ingredients and some good freezer. Prepare yourself for some fruity mess with this one!

Cantaloupe melon ice cream

ingredients

one medium cantaloupe melon (gives about 500gr pulp)
1 1/2 cup full fat heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 rectangular pan

to serve 
chopped pistachios
honey

How do I make it?

1. First, prepare your melon by cutting it in half and taking out the seeds. Using a spoon try to carve all of the pulp and pour it into a processor bowl. Once you're done, set your food processor to high speed and pulse for a minute or until you get a nice pulp without any big chuncks. 
2. In a bowl pour in the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla extract. Using a hand mixer or with the standing mixer, whip your cream very well until you get stiff peaks. 
3. Once the whipping cream is ready, slowly and carefully transfer the melon pulp into the  whipping cream and using a spatula mix in slow motions. Do this until all the pulp is incorporated into the mixture.
4. Fill in the pan with the ice cream mixture and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then transfer into the freezer. 
5. After an hour take it out and mix it slightly with a spoon. Then place it gain into the freezer and let it for 3 more hours or best overnight.
6. When you want to serve, take your ice cream out at least 30 minutes before. Fruity ice creams tend to get very icy and they are harder to serve. Sprinkle some chopped pistachios and drizzle some honey for extra delight!


No comments :

Post a Comment