Saturday 10 June 2017

CHERRY AND RHUBARB CRUMBLE PIE


    Summer is definitely here! Exams are over, internship started and I am going to Geneva Street Food Festival tomorrow. Woohoo, life is good finally. I don't know when was the last time I just sat on my sofa and read a book or did something else that study, obsess about studying or yell at my boyfriend. Oops! Well, yeah, it happens to the best of us. Stress is a weird thing not to cave in, I'm trying my best. But since the weather is warm and everyone is stress-free, one can only dream of more days like this.
     On another note, I went hiking last weekend. It wasn't the first time, but it was the first time I did it with a big group of people who were passionate about it. We hiked uphill and downhill for more than 5 hours. I woke up at 5:00 and got home at 22:00, but it was all worth it. The feeling of accomplishment, the laughs, the amazing view when we reached our final destination. All worth it. During my hiking I was thinking that these will be the memories I will have in mind when I get older and I won't be able to bend my back in front. Or maybe until then I will become a yogi, so who knows?




     What better way to celebrate this summer that with a pie? I was planning to make a rhubarb and strawberry pie, since I've read a lot of amazing recipes with this combination. However, I couldn't find any proper strawberries lately and I had some cherries in the fridge wanting my attention, so inspiration came! I have to say this is not a very sweet pie, which is perfect for me as I don't like very sweet stuff. Also, it was the first time I cooked something with rhubarb and I was very pleased with the result. 

Cherry and Rhubarb Crumble pie

ingredients (for one pie)

1 buttery pie dough of your choice
4 cups of pitted cherries
2 cups rhubarb cut in slices
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cold butter cut in slices
1 tablespoon lemon juice

for the crumble

150 gr butter cold and cut in pieces
100 gr flour
80 gr sugar

to serve: ice cream of your choice

how do I make it?

1. Prepare your fruit and put them in a large bowl. Pour inside the sugar and lemon and stir very well. 
2. Prepare your pie tin with some oil brushing. Carefully place the dough on the tin and then pour in the middle the prepared fruit. 
3. In a food processor mix together the butter with the flour until breadcrumbs are created. Then add in the sugar and mix again.
4. Place the crumbs on top of the fruit of the pie, making sure all of the fruit is covered with the crumbs. Preheat oven to 190 C.
5. Bake your pie in this temperature for 20 minutes and then lower the temperature to 175 C and bake for 30 minutes or until the pie turns golden, while juices come out. 
6. Let it cool for some minutes and then serve with some ice cream.




No comments :

Post a Comment