Saturday 30 December 2017

NEW YEAR'S BRUNCH: SAVOURY PUMPKIN WAFFLES WITH LEFTOVER ROASTED TURKEY & STUFFING


     During 2017 a lot of things have happened. Some good and joyous, other not so good. But whatever has happened now is in the past, leaving room for new experiences to come in the new year. I am not a big fun of New Year Resolutions, as they tend to hide only wishful thinking and not actual plan of action. However, I have already tried to "fix" some things or add a few hints of self-love. On top of my list is limiting coffee to the point of quitting it altogether. I did a little experiment this month, where I replaced my afternoon pick up drink (coffee) with matcha tea. I only added some coconut oil and honey and voilà! It seemed to help my energy levels a lot. I didn't experience the normal crush before dinner and was more focused. So, my next plan is to add it to my morning beverage of choice as well and see how it goes.
     With all the holidays and festive spirit happening around me, there is no moment to think, just live. Which is not bad...not bad at all! I get to enjoy so many happy moments and eat a lot of food. In Greece, we are known to eat well and a bit too much during holidays. As a result, there is a lot of leftover food that you get to eat for days and days to come. If you are ok with eating the same food, then you don't have a problem. But if you are me and need something interesting, then you want to use those leftovers to other meals as well. New Year's Day is only two days ahead of us and I believe a lot of you might need a hangover breakfast or...brunch to get back to normal functioning the next day.       



     Last Wednesday I visited a new cafe in my hometown and got to taste some amazing crispy waffles with fried chicken, apple and maple syrup. It was so good and unexpected that it inspired me to create a savoury recipe for your New Year's Day Brunch. It requires some effort only for the waffle batter. The rest of the recipe uses ingredients that you already might have left from New Year's Eve dinner (or any other holiday meal). The waffles have a savoury and sweet flavour, enough fat to help you recover from alcohol and lot of flavour to start the first day of the year deliciously!

Savoury Pumpkin Waffles with Leftover Roasted Turkey & Stuffing

ingredients (for 8 waffles)

2 cups whole wheat flour (shifted)
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 1/3 cup milk of choice (I used goat milk)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup grated gruyere or parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter melted
a few slices of roasted turkey or other meat of choice
stuffing (optional)
honey or maple syrup to drizzle

extra toppings
fried eggs
avocado slices
spring onions
sliced green apple

how do I make it?

1. Have all your toppings ready for serving, like the slices of roasted meat, leftover stuffing and extra ones.
2. In a large bowl mix together the eggs, milk and butter very well and then add the pumpkin puree mixing again. Then pour inside the flour in small doses, then the baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix very well all the ingredients and make sure there are no lumps. To avoid lumps in your batter, you can shift the flour beforehand. When you are done, add the shredded cheese of choice and mix again.
3. Prepare your waffle iron and start making your waffles according to the instructions of the iron. I made them a little crispy so I used the higher temperature and let them cook for about 3 to 4 minutes. 
4. Serve the waffles in plates. On top, add some tablespoons of stuffing, roasted turkey and optionally a fried egg or avocado slices. 
5. Last important step, drizzle some honey or maple syrup according to taste. Make sure to enjoy them while they are still warm.

Have a Happy New Year 2018!





2 comments :

  1. Λατρευω το χερι μαμας!!!! Τι τραβανε κ αυτες οι καημενες με τα μπλογκ μας! Χεχε

    Καλη Χρονια!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ναι οι γλυκούλες και παρόλα αυτά αμέσως να βοηθήσουν, ακόμα και αν δεν πολυκαταλαβαίνουν από μπλογκς!
      Καλή Χρονιά κορίτσι μου!

      Delete