Wednesday 21 December 2016

SWEET POTATO TOAST WITH SPINACH PESTO AND AVOCADO


     Have you ever wanted time to pass so quickly that you don't realise it? This is the feeling I am dealing with these hectic days. I believe that I haven't been this tied inside the house since I was 20 or 22 studying for final exams in University. As I am going through a similar phase right now, studying for finals at University of Lucerne, I wonder... How do I get instantly to the 23rd of December on a plane to Paris? I know, I know...time passes by very quickly. Until then, though, one has to entertain oneself.
    If you are a young woman, standing 2,5 years apart from 30s, you put on some jazz music, pour yourself a glass of strong wine and start taking statistics quizes. Oh, how fun life can be when you are a student, right? But if you are also a foodie, you can put all your frustration in the kitchen to produce several delicious and caloric foods to consume, while studying for hours. This thought was in mind yesterday as I decided to try out a new kind of avocado toast rather than the plain old bread toast with smashed avocado and an egg on top (delicious though).



     This whole craze about sweet potato is not news. It has been out there in the world of foodies and food bloggers for a year or more I think, I don't keep track of those things. Not that I feel the peer pressure or anything, but I had to try it to see what the fuss was about and honestly I love sweet potato. The task if very simple, you have to simply pick a rather big sweet potato and cut slices, which then you toast in your favourite toaster or you can toast them in the oven if you are old school. I am sharing with you a trick to make the potatoes be cookes faster and this is trying to slice them a bit thin (not too much) about maybe 3cm or as thick as a slice of bread would be.

Sweet Potato toast with spinach Pesto and avocado

ingredients (for 1 person)

2 thin slices of raw sweet potato (hint: try to cut the potato in half and then with a big knife try to take a slice with 3cm thickness on average)
1/2 of small avocado
2-3 tablespoons homemade spinach pesto (recipe below)
sea salt
lemon juice
optional: pumpkin seeds

How do I make it?

1. If you have a toaster, put it on medium toasting and toast your sweet potatoes as you would normally do with bread. After the first round, repeat. Check to see if the poato seems cooked. It will have a very bright orange color. If it's not cooked repeat toasting. Remember to have rather thin slices.
2. Take your slices out of the toaster. Spread a tablespoon or two on top. 
3. Slice have an avocado in small slices and put them on top of the pesto.
4. Season with sea sal and a splash of lemon juice. Sprinkle some pumpkin seeds if desired.

Easy spinach pesto

ingredients (for 2 cups of pesto)

4 cups of fresh spinach cleaned and drained
1 1/2 cup extra virgin oil
1/4 cup walnuts
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon sea salt
(extra olive oil if needed)

How do I make it?

1. Place all of your ingredients in a food processor. Mix on high speed for a few minutes. 
2. Stop the processor and check for saltiness and liquidity. You want your pesto to be a bit liguid, but not too much. For this reason I suggest putting the 1 cup of olive oil first and then add the rest of it and see how it goes.
3.  Store in  glass jar or enjoy immediately with some fresh boiled pasta (my favourite!). Remember to stir the sauce a bit everytime you use it because the oils tend to stand on the surface.






No comments :

Post a Comment